Hijack Prevention Guidelines:
- Most hijackings occur in the driveways of residential area especially those with accessible escape routes.
- Hijackings occur while stationed at any traffic sign or intersection, or when parked next to the road to i.e. take a cell phone call.
- It occurs at post offices, parking areas, at school when dropping of or fetching children or when leaving the filling station where the objective to execute the hijacking in a quiet spot especially when the vehicle is idling to pick up or off load passengers.
- Hijackers often uses another vehicle to force a victim off the road.
- Hijackings occurs when advertising your vehicle for sale (Test drive Method)
- Bogus Police/Traffic Officers often execute hijackings on unsuspected victims (Blue Light scenario).
How to avoid Hijacking Situations:
Approaching & entering your driveway:
- 2km form your house - be extra alert i.e. switch off your car radio and concentrate on your surroundings, if you noticed a vehicle following you drive past your driveway and head for a busy area like a shopping complex where you can call for help.
- Stop your vehicle just inside your gate and immediately select reverse while waiting for the gate to close. This creates confusion and may buy valuable seconds for the gate to completely close behind you.
- Always check the driveway and street before you leave or enter your premises.
- Ensure driveway is well lit and clear of shrubbery where perpetrators may hide.
- Be aware of unknown pedestrians close to your property - do not turn into your driveway - pass and go back later.
- Liaise with your neighbour's, get to know them and the vehicles they use.
- Be alert to foreign vehicles parked close to your address with occupants inside. It may be perpetrators observing the area.